The journey to college doesn’t come with a map. It’s a complicated process that can seem overwhelming. That’s why we’ve created the College Board Opportunity Scholarships, a new program that will guide you through the college planning process and give you the chance to earn money for college along the way.
This isn’t a typical scholarship program—it isn’t just for academic superstars or talented athletes. You don’t have to write an essay or fill out an application and there’s no GPA or SAT score requirement. Instead, the College Board Opportunity Scholarships reward you for doing what you already need to do when you’re applying to college.
We’re investing $25 million, with students in each graduating class earning $5 million in scholarships beginning with the class of 2020. All students can participate, even if you never dreamed you could earn a scholarship.
You can earn scholarships for $500–$2,000 by completing individual college planning steps. The more you complete, the more scholarships you can earn. When you’ve done all 6 you’ll be eligible for the $40,000 scholarship.
Each scholarship is open at certain times of the year, to help you plan your journey:
- Build Your College List: $500
- Get started by exploring colleges you’re interested in on BigFuture™.
- Practice for the SAT: $1,000
- Use Official SAT Practice on Khan Academy® to get ready for test day.
- Improve Your Score: $2,000
- Show how practice pays off by improving your SAT score.
- Strengthen Your College List: $500
- Make sure your college list has a mix of academic safety, fit, and reach schools.
- Complete the FAFSA: $1,000
- Fill out the free government form to apply for financial aid.
- Apply to Colleges: $1,000
- Apply to the schools you want to attend.
- Complete Your Journey: $40,000
- Complete all 6 scholarship steps to be eligible for a $40,000 scholarship.
Members of the class of 2020 who are attending high school in the United States, Puerto Rico, and other U.S. territories can get started in December 2018—sign up to be notified when the scholarships open. If you’re in the class of 2021, you’ll be able to participate beginning in December 2019.
To find out more, go to cb.org/opportunity.
Ready to get started?
If you’re in the class of 2020 and attending high school in the United States, Puerto Rico, and other U.S. territories, you can complete the first step now. Build your college list for a chance to earn a $500 scholarship, and you’ll be eligible to win once you sign up for the program when it opens.
Log in to your College Board account on BigFuture. Explore colleges and start adding the ones you’re interested in to your list. You’ll need to add six or more colleges to be eligible for the scholarship.